Wednesday, March 26, 2014

DIY : Aztec Pom Pom Shorts

I'm suffering from a serious case of Color Frenzy. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about - you wake up one fine morning and suddenly fall in love with a color and want everything, everything, you own to be in THAT color. When I'm not afflicted with Color Frenzy, if someone makes the mistake of asking what my favorite color is, I just "hang" - until I hear at least one "Don't Bother" - whew!

I've literally thought of printing everything I own with Aztec - until the day came when I saw tattooed fish (yes, tattooed fish! A story for another day) at the pet shop and pictured my goldfishes with Aztec over them - A teeny bit too much - and I had to pick something and go nuts all over it! Not that we need an excuse to wear a plethora of colors all at one - but Summer's here! I'm still not over the Aztec and pom-pom fever we all had last time. 

To get to the point, here are some Aztec pom pom shorts (hurrah!)

Here's what you'll need:

  • A pair of plain shorts 
  • Fabric glue
  • Pom pom (and other optional) trim
  • Fabric paint (I used fabric paint pens)
  • Cardboard cut out to width of the shorts' leg x 2
  • A pen
  • A needle

Step 1: On a piece of paper, decide on the pattern you want. Place the cardboard piece inside the shorts leg and draw the pattern on the shorts.


Step 2: Start outlining and filling in the pattern with fabric paint. Wait till the paint is completely dry before starting on the next leg or side - the one I used took about an hour to dry fully. On very small shapes, you can put a drop of paint and spread with a needle for more accuracy.



Step 3: Paint on all four sides (both legs front and back) of the shorts and leave overnight to hang and dry.


Step 4: Take the trim you chose and cut to leg size. Place around the shorts as shown. 



Step 5: Glue the trim to the shorts a side at a time with fabric glue. Wait to dry completely.


Step 6: Do the same with the pom pom trim and there you have it!


Nothing like flashing a bit of summer color around ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment